Monday, April 06, 2009

Gordon Ramsay's perfect scrambled eggs

I've always been convinced the simplest dishes are the most deceptively difficult ones to do. This is from my struggles with the basics of Italian cookery, like spaghetti aglio olio, and my years of trying to perfect the carbonara.

Here is Gordon Ramsay's take on scrambled eggs. Basically he's saying we shouldn't deploy the whisk and the salt until the eggs are broken into the pan, after which we're free to kick them around while they cook through. The reason is that salt added before the eggs meet fire changes the constitution of the egg while it cooks, resulting in a less-than-ideal scramble. Ramsay also suggests having the pan in motion, bringing the egg on and off the fire while it cooks. Blobs of butter and a dollop of creme fraiche are also added when the eggs are about done. I must say the end result looks suspiciously smooth and creamy, so I'm skeptical until proven otherwise.

No comments: